Encore | Preventing Death by Suicide: A Chief-to-Chief Leadership Wellness Discussion, Part 2
Suicide prevention is a major concern within law enforcement. Health and wellness programs are being created across the country to help officers and their families ensure that they will not become victims of a suicide tragedy. This virtual panel discussion will explore such prevention programs and share other avenues that address suicide prevention by engaging law enforcement leadership in their strategies and best practices.
Law enforcement chiefs from across North America will share their leadership journeys into enhancing officer wellness programs across an array of day-to-day professional services and response to critical incidents involving officer involved shootings, officer suicides, and other mental health events. The discussion will also include the impact of increasing morale and building acceptance for the concepts of creating a police family environment for all employees, volunteers, and retired personnel by demonstrating care and accepting that “it is okay not to be okay.”
Part 2 of Preventing Death by Suicide concludes with discussions about selecting the right leader for a program, disseminating that program regionally, and navigating confidentially to protect law enforcement professionals, followed by a Q&A.
For more information about this program, please visit.
- The Honorable Abigail Spanberger, Representative, U.S. House of Representatives
- Col. Edwin Roessler, Chief of Police, Fairfax County (VA) Police Department
- Chief Peter Newsham, Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia
- Superintendent Martin Bruce, Support Services Division, Vancouver (WA) Police Department
- Assistant Chief Beatrice Girmala, Director, Office of Support Services, Los Angeles (CA) Police Department
- Dr. Luann Pannell, Director, Police Training and Education, Los Angeles (CA) Police Department
- Dr. Denise Jablonski Kaye, Police Psychologist, Los Angeles (CA) Police Department
- Sergeant Joe King, Director, Boston Police Peer Support Unit, Boston (MA) Police Department
- Dr. Bernie Gonzalez, Founder and Director, Boundless Leadership Consulting
- Josh Goldberg, Executive Director, Boulder Crest Foundation