The Definition of Insanity, Part 1
Join Precinct 444 for this revisiting of the special PBS documentary The Definition of Insanity. The film chronicles the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project, an innovative prison diversion program. The Definition of Insanity illustrates how one local judge’s novel approach to solving the mental health crisis could be the model to tackle the much larger epidemic throughout America.
In this first part, you will be introduced to our panelists and learn about their roles within the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project, how the project began, and what role local law enforcement plays in implementing the project.
View the original program page on the Museum’s website, found here.
To watch the full documentary, The Definition of Insanity, please visit: The Definition of Insanity.
To learn more about the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project, please visit: CMHP.
- Nancy La Vigne of the Justice Policy Center at Urban Institute
- Alejandro Aristizábal, Felony Diversion Program Manager, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Sgt. John Blackerby, City of Miami Police Department
- Habsi Kaba, Crisis Intervention Team Coordinator, Miami-Dade County
- Judge Steven Leifman, Associate Administrative Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Jenny Conklin, Assistant State Attorney, Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office