The Definition of Insanity, Part 2
Join Precinct 444 for this revisiting of the special PBS documentary The Definition of Insanity. The film chronicles the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project, an innovative prison diversion program. The Definition of Insanity illustrates how one local judge’s novel approach to solving the mental health crisis could be the model to tackle the much larger epidemic throughout America.
In part 2, our panelists talk through the progress made using empirical data. You’ll also hear about some of the challenges facing law enforcement when responding to mental health crises and the possible solutions moving forward.
View the original program page on the Museum’s website, found here.
To watch the full documentary, The Definition of Insanity, please visit: The Definition of Insanity.
To learn more about the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project, please visit: CMHP.
- Nancy La Vigne of the Justice Policy Center at Urban Institute
- Alejandro Aristizábal, Felony Diversion Program Manager of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Sgt. John Blackerby, City of Miami Police Department
- Habsi Kaba, Crisis Intervention Team Coordinator, Miami-Dade County
- Judge Steven Leifman, Associate Administrative Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Jenny Conklin, Assistant State Attorney, Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office